WORKING AT THE WDI
The WDI is committed to providing our students with the best academic resources we can! If this interests you and you would like to be a part of the WDI community, please check out our staffing opportunities listed below.
Resident Assistant (RA) Job Description:
Resident Assistants will be placed in either the Community Development track or the Instructional Assistant track for their service at the WDI. Community Development leaders interact with campers, facilitating games and activities during leisure time. Instructional Assistant assists students in the classroom during lectures and practice debates, providing Instructors with additional support.
There are 5 positions available. Each position comes with a $300 stipend. We will also choose one RA to be the Chief Residential Assistant, which comes with a $500 stipend and additional responsibilities. The WDI will pay for travel to and from the Summer Institute.
All applications are due by May 31st. Applicants will be notified on or around June 5th.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Previous experience as a resident assistant in a dormitory environment.
- 1+ year of college
- Proven leadership ability
- CPR Training
- Lifeguard training
- At least 1 year of debate experience
- Job Responsibilities:
- Prepare room assignments in advance of institute
- Prepare dormitory, including setting up common space, snack space, etc. in advance of institute
- Supervise students at the airport and on the shuttle on pickup and drop-off day
- Supervise allocation of snacks throughout institute
- Be on call for assigned morning, afternoon, and evening, and late night shifts.
- Facilitate room check at curfew
- Be available to address student needs (illness, hygiene, emotional, etc.)
- Assist in the facilitation of community development activities
- Attend and participate in staff training sessions held prior to the beginning of the WDI.
- Maintain regular and open lines of communication with the Assistant Director and Coordinators of WDI; Contact the Chief Resident Assistant first on behalf of the residents regarding major issues of concern to the residents.
- Set a personal example by conducting yourself in accordance with all WDI guidelines, Federal and Local policies, rules, laws and statutes.
- Regularly initiate contact with residents through individual and group settings. Be approachable and available, especially during evening hours, lunch and dinner
- Develop and maintain a positive community atmosphere in the resident area through the use of individual and group meetings, and activities aimed at forming values and fostering communication, mutual respect, cooperation, and concern for all WDI community members.
- Help oversee clean up of the dormitory facilities during the last day.
You Can Always Reach Us