Summer Camp Application Deadline
2022 Summer Camp
The WDI offers full and partial travel stipends to high school students who, due to their financial circumstances, will have difficulty covering their travel expenses to the WDI.
Students interested in travel stipends should fill out the travel stipend portion of the admissions application. The WDI will evaluate all travel stipend applications, and will award up to $6,000 worth of travel stipends to students in amounts that it deems appropriate. Students will be informed of whether they have been approved for a travel stipend and will be told the amount of the stipend within approximately two weeks of receiving an email accepting the student into the WDI.
Students who receive travel stipends will receive a link to a form that they will need to fill out prior to receiving their stipend.
WHAT TO BRING
What to Pack
Items provided by the Center include:
- Bath towels
- Face Towels
Items to bring to camp:
- Laptop (if you do not have one you’ll be provided by the camp)
- Personal toiletries
- Flip-flops to wear in the shower
- Layers of clothing (sweaters, jackets)
- Footwear (for a moderate hike)
- Personal writing/briefing materials (notebooks, pens, erasers, scissors and tape)
- Any debate items (briefs, Aff cases, etc.)
- College essays you’d like comments on
- Card games
- Anything else that will be fun during free time.
You may also want to bring some extra cash for snacks or miscellaneous items.
Students and staff will stay at the Ascend Camp and Retreat in Dallas, Texas. Linens, a pillow and blanket and towels are provided. Camp includes dinner on August 5th breakfast, lunch, and dinner on August 6th-9th, and breakfast on August 10th. Please be sure to indicate any dietary restrictions or preferences when you submit your acceptance package. You will be staying in dormitory rooms of 6-8 students per room. Gender neutral rooms will be available.
There is ample opportunity for card games, music, and other night-time revelry. Students have a curfew of 10 pm each night, after which time students must remain inside the main dormitory building. RA’s stay in the main dormitory building with the students and other staff members stay in an adjacent dormitory.
- In an effort to be as cautious as possible All Staff and Students must be willing to follow COVID protocols to attend camp…
- All students and staff must be vaccinated (with necessary exemptions)
- All students and staff must wear a mask indoors sans eating/drinking or in a private room
- All students and staff must provide a negative PCR test before camp
- We will provide on-site COVID testing at camp as needed
You Can Always Reach Us